Current:Home > ContactNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -消息
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 18:03:22
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Shania Twain makes herself laugh with onstage mixup: 'Really glad somebody captured this'
- Can you hear me now? Verizon network outage in Midwest, West is now resolved, company says
- Tech news site Gizmodo sold for third time in 8 years as European publisher Keleops looks to expand
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- New Orleans plans to spiff up as host of next year’s Super Bowl
- Cyprus president says a buffer zone splitting the island won’t become another migrant route
- Why did Nelson Mandela's ANC lose its majority in South Africa's elections, and what comes next?
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- South Carolina is trading its all-male Supreme Court for an all-white one
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Man sentenced to life without parole in ambush shooting of Baltimore police officer
- Rodeo star Spencer Wright's 3-year-old son Levi dies after driving toy tractor into river
- Evangeline Lilly Reveals She Is “Stepping Away” From Acting For This Reason
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- U.S. soldier-turned-foreign fighter faces charges in Florida double murder after extradition from Ukraine
- FBI investigator gives jury at Sen. Bob Menendez’s trial an inside account of surveillance
- Prisoner dies 12 days after Pennsylvania judge granted compassionate release for health reasons
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Former prosecutor settles lawsuit against Netflix over Central Park Five series
A shot in the arm that can help fight cancer? How vaccine trials are showing promise.
Three boys discovered teenage T. rex fossil in northern US: 'Incredible dinosaur discovery'
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Gunman captured after shootout outside US Embassy in Lebanon
Wegmans recalls pepperoni because product may contain metal pieces
Missouri court changes date of vote on Kansas City police funding to August